skip navigation

Pasca and the Wildcats prevail for OT win

By Evan Moesta, 10/12/15, 11:00PM EDT


Millbrook Soccer is getting hot at the right time. Following a 4-2 overtime win against Wake Forest, the Wildcats have established their first winning streak of the season, and they're 2-0-1 over the last week and a half.

To set the scene for Monday night's battle with Cougars, you have to go back three weeks when Millbrook broke a tie in the final 30 seconds of regulation before netting two goals in overtime to win 3-2 at Trentini Stadium. Michael Pasca assured that it wouldn't take over 79 minutes for the team's first goal as he scored 83 seconds into the match to make it 1-0 Millbrook. The goal was Pasca's team leading 7th of the year and he was glad to have found the net after missing on a scoring chance just seconds prior to the goal.

"I was on the wing and Wrenn (Pallas) played me a long through ball and I was just able to settle it and beat a few defenders. My teammates did a great job of creating a lot of space and I was able to get my shot off rather easily."

Three minutes later, Wake Forest would even things up at 1-1 on a goal from Zach Engel. The scoring barrage in the opening 20 minutes of the ballgame continued as Wrenn Pallas headed in a throw in to give the Wildcats a 2-1 lead in the 19th minute. 

The scoring would stop there as each team tried to slow things down. Neither Connor Cochrane nor Noah Davison would be tested between the pipes for the remainder of the half and well into the second stanza of play. In the 45th minute, Cochrane got his mitts on an Ian Pearlswig kick and ten minutes later, Davison got his time to shine. Wake Forest tried to sneak one in under the crossbar but the junior goalkeeper skied high to poke the ball away with his left hand. The save from Davison set up a corner kick for the Cougars and the kick was one-timed right at the Wildcat keeper who sprawled to his left to make the diving stop and keep it a 2-1 game.

Millbrook has been known for their late goals all season long but on Monday night, it was Wake Forest's turn to get in on the action. The Cougars created a ton of traffic in the box and Will Rudolph came away with the game tying header in the 78th minute. Millbrook then tried to establish an attack in the final 90 seconds but the clock would run out and that would mean overtime once again for the two teams.

It would not take long for the Wildcats to regain the lead. Minutes into the extra frame, Harrison Clark had a throw in from the corner and he hit Michael Pasca in stride for the go-ahead goal. The pressure wouldn't stop there as both Clark and Ian Pearlswig would have chances to pad the lead in the first overtime. At the end of one OT, it was 3-2 Millbrook. Davison would start the second frame with a pair of one-on-one showdowns with Cougar forwards that made their way through the defense. The Millbrook keeper stood tall and kept the lead in tact. Those stops led to an offensive chance for Justin Miller on the other end of the field. With 4:27 left in the second overtime, Miller ripped a shot at the goal that was swallowed by Cochrane. Mere seconds later, Miller got the ball back and unleashed a laser towards the net from about thirty feet out. Miraculously, the ball had eyes and found it's way into the net to all but seal the deal for the Wildcats at 4-2.

The clock would proceed to wind down and with the win, Millbrook would move to 6-5-4 on the season. The victory is the Wildcats' second in a row which means it's their first winning streak of the season. Since falling 7-2 at Heritage two weeks back, the only blemishes on the schedule for Millbrook has been a loss in the final seconds to Leesville, and a 0-0 tie at Sanderson. Pasca says that the attitude around the team is to not give up and he loves the position that they're in.

"This is huge. Especially after getting off to such a rough start this season. We've been able to turn things around, and go in a direction that has us believing that we can make the playoffs. We just need to keep this up. We don't give up and we don't give in, that's what I love about this team."

Next up is a home match against the Broughton Capitals. Kick off is slated to 6:30PM at the Wildcat Stadium against last year's 4A State runner-ups. Broughton got the best of Millbrook a few weeks back in a 3-0 win. For more information, follow Millbrook Soccer on Twitter at @soccer_mhs.