Middle School Eligibility
In order to be eligible for any athletic activity, the athlete:
- Must meet all eligibility requirements prior to the first tryout/practice date.
- Must complete a WCPSS Middle School Athletic Participation Form and turn in to the school’s Athletic Director. The physical portion of the form is valid only for 365 days from the date of the examination.
- Student-Athlete and parent/legal custodian must read the Concussion Information Sheet and student-athlete and parent/legal custodian must initial and sign the Student/Athlete and Parent/Legal Custodian Concussion Statement. This must be done on an annual basis (once every 365 days).
- Must purchase regular school accident insurance or provide proof of insurance coverage by filling out the insurance information waiver on the Middle School Athletic Participation Form.
- Must meet promotion requirements for the previous school year in order to be eligible for the fall semester. The State Board of Education defines promotion as “progressing to the next grade.” Students retained either by the school or the parents will be ineligible.
- Must earn passing grades (D or better) during each semester in one less course than the required core courses to be eligible for participation during the succeeding semester. Passing grades must be attained in language arts and mathematics. In addition to the core course requirements, at least fifty percent of all remaining courses must be passed.
- Must not have more than 14 total absences (85% attendance requirement) in the semester prior to athletic participation.
- Must not turn 15 on or before August 31st of that school year.
- Upon first entering grade seven (7) is academically eligible for competition on middle school teams. All academic and attendance requirements must be met the first semester (fall) in order for this student to be eligible for athletic participation the second semester (spring). No student may be eligible to participate at the Middle School level for a period lasting longer than 4 consecutive semesters beginning with the student’s first entry into 7th grade.
- Must live with a parent or legal custodian within the Wake County Public School System administrative unit. (Must notify the athletic director if not living with a parent or legal custodian.)
- Must, if you miss five (5) or more days of practice due to illness or injury, receive a medical release from a licensed physician before practicing or playing.
- Must not practice OR play if ineligible.
- Must practice a total of six (6) days before playing in a game in all sports except football, where a player must practice nine days.
- Must not, as an individual or a team, practice or play during the school day.
- Must not play, practice, or assemble as a team with your coach on teacher work days, Saturday (includes year round schools), Sunday, holidays or vacation days.
- Must be present 100% of the student day on the day of an athletic contest in order to participate in the event.
- Must not participate (practice or play) in any athletic event if assigned to In-school suspension (ISS) or Out-of School Suspension (OSS) during that assigned time.