1. Be Eligible (see Bottom of page for full details)
a. Must be in 7th or 8th grade. 6th graders are not eligible for sanctioned Wake County Middle School Sports
b. Pass 3 out of 4 core classes in previous semester
c. Have no more than 14 absences in the previous semester - There is no difference in unexcused and excused
2. Fill out the online participation form below, (click on gray bar) which includes concussion information and proof of insurance. The Physical Form for the Doctor (PDF below) will need to be completed by a doctor and then submitted to the Main Office.
Eligibility: In order to be eligible for any athletic activity, the athlete:
1. Must be currently enrolled in seventh or eighth grade in WCPSS.
2. Must meet all eligibility requirements prior to the first tryout/practice date.
3. Must have a completed and signed Middle School Athletic Participation Form prior to the first tryout/practice date.
4. Must not participate if he/she becomes 15 years of age on or before August 31, 2019.
5. Must receive a medical examination once every 395 days by a licensed medical physician, physician’s assistant or family practitioner in the United States.
6. Must read the Concussion Information Sheet, initial and sign the Student-Athlete & Parent/Legal Custodian Concussion Statement each year.
7. Must meet promotion requirements to be eligible for fall semester. The State Board of Education defines promotion as “progressing to the next grade.” Students retained either by the school or the parents will be ineligible for the fall semester.
8. 6 Semester Rule - No student may be eligible to participate at the Middle School level for a period lasting longer than 6 consecutive semesters beginning with the students’ first entry into 6th grade. The principal shall have evidence of the date of each player’s entry into the 6 th grade.
9. Must earn passing grades (D or better) in a minimum of three core courses each semester to be eligible for participating during the succeeding semester.
10. Must not have more than 14 total absences (85% attendance requirement) in the semester prior to athletic participation. This is a State Board of Education requirement. According to Board Policy, students who participate in interscholastic athletics must meet all requirements of the State Board of Education.
11. Must not participate (practice or play) if ineligible.
12. Must not participate (practice or play) in any athletic event if suspended or is actively serving in the in-school suspension program for that day or days.
13. Must be present in school the entire day in order to participate in practices or games.
14. Must live with a parent or legal custodian within the Wake County Public School System administrative unit. (Must notify the athletic director if not living with a parent or legal custodian.)
15. A player must practice a total of six (6) days before playing in a game in all sports except football, where a player must practice nine (9) days.
16. A player injured requiring medical attention and/or absent due to illness must meet eligibility requirements and must have practiced the required number of days above (# 15). This player may not participate in practice or a contest without a doctor’s note. Students absent from athletic practice 5 or more days due to illness or injury shall receive a medical release by a licensed physician before readmittance to practice or play.
17. If school is not in session or school closes early, no practice or game will take place. There will be no practice on Saturdays (this includes year round schools), holidays, or vacation days.
18. Specific to Pine Hollow Athletes only. If a student athlete receives OSS (Out of School Suspension) during their season of play, he/she will be removed from the team for the remainder of that season.